The Tourism, Events and Visitor Economy Branch
The Tourism, Events and Visitor Economy Branch is part of the Sector Development and Programs Management Division at the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources. The Branch is responsible for strengthening the profile of tourism and events across government and influencing strategic reforms and economic outcomes for the sector. The Branch incorporates major and business events, policy, industry support and research.
In supporting the Minister for Tourism and Major Events, the Branch:
- Provides research and policy development across the Victorian Visitor Economy.
- Provides oversight, coordination and governance support for key Visitor Economy entities, including Visit Victoria; the Australian Grand Prix Corporation; the Emerald Tourist Railway Board (Puffing Billy); Fed Square Pty Ltd (Federation Square); and the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Trust.
- Negotiates and liaises with the Commonwealth Government on key policy issues which affect the tourism industry (e.g. aviation policy, visa, skilled migration policies and programs, and airline access).
- Administers the Major Sporting Events Act 2009.
Victorian Visitor Economy Strategy
The Victorian Government commissioned a review of Victoria’s visitor economy in March 2015. The Government’s objectives for supporting the growth and sustainability of the tourism, events and visitor economy sector have subsequently been outlined in the Victorian Visitor Economy Strategy (PDF. 1.4Mb).
A Visitor Economy Ministerial Advisory Committee has been established to provide advice to the Minister for Tourism and Major Events on a broad range of issues and policies impacting the whole of Victoria’s visitor economy. The Committee is also supported by the Department’s Tourism, Events and Visitor Economy Branch.
The Tourism, Events and Visitor Economy Branch works across the Department and with visitor economy entities such as Visit Victoria , to identify opportunities for cross-sector cooperation and collaboration, particularly with respect to investment, trade, regional development, conventions, business events and major events.
- Visit Victoria http://corporate.visitvictoria.com
- Australian Grand Prix Corporation http://www.grandprix.com.au
- Emerald Tourist Railway Board (Puffing Billy) http://puffingbilly.com.au
- Fed Square Pty Ltd (Federation Square) http://www.fedsquare.com
- Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Trust http://mcec.com.au
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources http://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/